Sunday, April 26, 2009

Letter 6

4/20/2009
Zone: Tubarão
Area: Criciúma 2
Well another week has gone by and they seem to be accelerating at an incredible rate.We traveled a great deal this week;Thursday- Tubarão was an hour and a half by bus there and the same back. We had zone conference. We got up at four a.m. and got back at nine thirty p.m.Friday- Impetuba was a three hour bus ride there and another three hours back. We had to do a baptismal interview. We got up at four a.m. and got back at ten thirty p.m.Saturday- Centro, helping with an activity.For this reason our number of lessons fell, but still we are above the standard of excellency.This mission is really turning around, this zone here was always one of the least baptising zones with an average of four a month. This last month our zone baptised fourteen people!We are having members of the 70 coming to visit our mission as well. As this mission always had low baptism numbers. Averaging 40 baptisms a month, and now we are baptising over 150 a month.Apparently a lot of the prophesies about our Mission President are finally coming to fufillment. Not only is everything increasing but it is doing so exponentially and seems to be gaining momentum.I gave a talk this last sunday, and I had decided to address some problems in the ward at the end. Especially gossip, because it was hindering the Lord´s work here. I don´t know why but I was nervous to address the problem until I got up there. Then all of a sudden I just felt perfectly calm and determined.I spoke out against the problem and read scriptures to them about how we will be judged according to our judgments and forgiven according to our forgiveness. Then I shared the story of Christ and the woman taken in adultery. I explained that Christ did not condem her, despite the fact that she had committed one of the gravest of sins. He defended her, then when they were alone forgave her. Is it not so that we too need to defend those who are ill spoken of, as Christ did, and then forgive them for whatever they may or may not have done. For authority is not given any of us to judge or condem anyone. Nor damage their reputation by speaking behind their backs.Then as I finished I apologized for if I had offended anyone, but according to 1 nephi 16:2 the words of the truth are hard only against those who have offended the laws of God and the righteous had I justified. I also told them that if anyone wanted to be angry with us they could be angry with me and leave Elder de Jong out of it.The spirit was good, and actually I gained us a lot of respect. In addition another sister to give lunches!! Haha, she had stopped because of slacker elders but she decided after my talk that it was time for her to serve again.Anyway, so that is my burning story. I don´t really want to burn and I am afraid I like it too much so I avoid it. However, this was the first and hopefully the last time I had to do it. Because the spirit was with me it turned out exponentially for the good even though I took a risk at cutting our influence within the ward.So avoid gossip!!!! ITS BAD!!! Don´t even listen to it. It is contentious and of the Enemy.
Elder Jacob L. Holdaway

No comments:

Post a Comment